Keroncong is a kind of Indonesia music that has a historical relationship with the type of Portuguese music known as fado. Keroncong begins from the music played that the slaves and Portuguese officers from mainland India (Goa), Monument (where establishment padrao Sunda-Portuguese) and the Moluccas. This early form of music called Moresco, accompanied by a stringed musical instrument. During its development, it makes a number of traditional elements of the archipelago, such as use of the flute and several components of gamelan. At about the 19th century forms of popular music has been a mixture in many places in the archipelago, even down to the Malay Peninsula. This golden era continued until around the year the 1960s, and then faded due to the inclusion of a wave of popular music (rock music that developed since 1950, and victories Beatle music and the like since 1961 until now). Nevertheless, keroncong music still played and enjoyed by all walks of life in Indonesia and Malaysia until now.
One of the figures from Indonesia has a considerable contribution in raising keroncong music is alm. Gesang. The man from the city of Surakarta (Solo) this year to even get any compensation from the Japanese government for successfully introducing keroncong music there. One of the most famous song is “Bengawan Solo”. Because of that dedication, alm. Gesang nicknamed “Buaya Keroncong” by the personnel of keroncong Indonesia, called for keroncong music experts.
When long time ago known KERONCONG TEMPO DOELOE (1880-1920) took place since the arrival of Portuguese in Indonesia around the 1600′s but the music Keroncong emerging in the late nineteenth century (found Ukulele in Hawaii in 1879  until sometime after World War I (around 1920).
Keroncong ABADI (1920 – 1959) took place since after World War I (1920) until after Independence (1959). At this time known as the 3 types of keroncong, namely : Langgam Keroncong, Stambul keroncong, and Original Keroncong. At that time, was also born Langgam Java : YEN ING TAWANG (1935). On the trip also became famous by singer WALJINAH (1963). In 1959 the Foundation led Brijen Stay Fresh Jakarta Sofyar introduce keroncong POP or keroncong BEAT, which is in line with the development of pop music at that time with the influence of ROCK ‘n ROLL and the BEATLES. Indonesian songs, accompanied with local or West Beat Keroncong. For example, NA SO Nang DA Hito (Batak), AYAM DEN LAPEH (Padang), PILEULEUYAN (Sunda), etc. In the years around 1968th in Gunung Kidul area of Yogyakarta musicians Manthous introduce the so-called CAMPURSARI, that keroncong with gamelan and drums. It is also used electronic instruments such as bass guitar, electric bass, organ, until well saxophon and trumpet. Musicians who play aggressively is Didi sunken Mix: Racing, Golden Horn, Terminal Tirtonadi, etc.
Keroncong music leaning more on chord progressions and the type of tool used. Since the mid-20 th century has been known for at least three kinds of keroncong, which can be recognized from the pattern of progression akordnya. For musicians who already understand the plot, to accompany the songs keroncong actually not difficult, because quite fit the prevailing pattern. Development is done by keeping the consistency of the pattern. In addition, there are mixture forms and adaptations.
- The tools used in the Keroncong music instrument is :
- Flute, A wind instrument made of metal, blew sideways. Flute serves filling ornaments, which floating melodies fill the empty space.
- Violin, Stringed instrument which has four strings. This instrument is usually used to play the melody. The function of violin is as a melody guide, as well as decorations / ornaments.
- Guitar melody, The same tools used by ordinary acoustic guitar. Usually use two guitars, named as melody and rhythm as a filler.
- Cello, A musical instrument is usually played with a swiped the music played by plucked in keroncong music.
- Cuk (ukulele), A stringed musical instrument, such as small guitar with three strings of nylon. Tone sequence is G, B and E.
- Cak, Like Cuk but smaller, also four strings, the strings made of string. Tone sequence A, D, Fis, and B. So when the other instruments playing scales C, cak play on scales F (known as in F).
- Bass, The most large musical instrument with a shape resembling a cello and violin, and learned how to play well while standing. For keroncong music, this instrument uses only three strings G, D, A.
- Variety of Rhythm in Keroncong Music :
- Single Rhythm / ankle: This type is mostly used in the song keroncong. used at the temple – the temple of the early songs / bar early before the coda.
- Dual Rhythm / Double: This type is a level 2 or 2 times the blow to his ankle and is usually worn at the temple – the temple of the second / second bar after the coda to the song finished.
- Rhythm Pick: Cakapur rhythm This type usually used in the stanza beginning – the beginning of the song that marked the passage keroncong instrument – stringed instrument such as violin and guitar. Who used to play the melody.
Source : http://www.wikipedia.org/ and Others
keroncong how cool this music, but time is growing all the time in various ways as well in the music world. keroncong music gradually become extinct due to the presence of a variety of musical genres that might be better looking, more exciting, and more cool. current music keroncong still others like to preserve it even, but very few who want to preserve this kind of music, especially the younger generation, many of those who do not realize how much fun playing this kind of music and preserve it.
The young generation today is more like the kind of music is rock, metal, R & B group even when it comes to music that is inspired from the Korean boyband GrilBand with personnel or handsome or beautiful as if hypnotized teens to admire them and forget about the kind of local music full of history and struggle of the musicians in their own country.
I hope the younger generation not only admire the culture of Western music or Music Abroad but also realize how their own country music culture, so for example this kind of music keroncong and possibly other types of old music in a country that needs to be preserved laiinya and should not be recognized even taken other countries.
This is a Song of Keroncong Music :